Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review by Moonlight: What Happens In London by Julia Quinn

Let me preface this by saying that it's been many years since I've read an historical romance. I picked up What Happens In London by chance and was intrigued enough by the back-of-the-book blurb to buy it. From the description, I figured I was in for a fairly light-hearted romp and in that I wasn't disappointed.

It is completely unlike the historical romances I used to read way back when. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I was just a bit surprised at first at the lack of detail of setting and customs, the kind of submersion into period with which I'm more familiar. It didn't take me long to realize that I couldn't judge What Happens In London by those older stories. Once I shucked my preconceived notions of what it should be, I was able to thoroughly enjoy it for what it is--a frothy meringue, not too sweet, but with enough substance to be just right.

The hero and heroine are both delightful. Olivia displays just enough independence and spunk to be interesting and I enjoyed Harry's sense of humor. I really wish the author would have included the scene where Olivia first observes Harry wearing the Hat, rather than just describing it after the fact. I know that scene would have had me chuckling out loud.

I finished What Happens In London, cover to cover, in one day. It's a quick and enjoyable read.

Moonlight Rating:

Disclaimer: This review is my opinion only. YMMV. You should judge the book for yourself.

No comments: